*

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fever... Hives... baby r turns 8months old today

skipping all the entires as i dun have time cos cny is round the corner... busy packing, preparing stuff for CNY and to add to the squeezy time frame... baby r fell SICK and needed 24/7 attention! its something that i haven experience in the past 7 months...

my little one is sick and i was very worried... she slept alot on monday as the rest of us were veyr busy packing away. tuesday 9th Feb, she woke up with a fever hitting her highest ever at 37.8 degrees... it was the first time she had fever med. she took it readily and no struggles from her. the fever went up and down between 37.3degrees - 37.5degrees. baby r took alot of barley water that was prep by mil. i had the fever cooling pad on her head...

She took a short nap and when i took her temp again... i got a shock and it rose up to 38.4degrees! it freaked me out as that toppled the morning's record and she seemed like burning! got some advise from friends who sent me advice via FB but i needed to talk to someone before i could calm down to get into action... i called gx and told him. he too was worried and i suddenly told him i want to call my aunt o! Lucky for me that she was available and she was there to tell me what to do!

She told me to take some ice and water in a basin and rinse a small towel to wipe baby r... this will help to bring her temp down... i called gx and told him about the ice bath... i prep the things while she was in a baby seat and i was pretty nervous... laid her on the sofa on her changing mat and i started to ice her head 1st and she broke into tears and i cried instantly hearing her cry... she was in shock and i gave her a hug tightly but she couldnt stop crying... she felt so hot... i called daddy and i told him i feel so pain doing it... after the call... i calm down and i started to act faster with the iced towel...

as i sponge her, i told her i had to do it to help her bring the temp down... i had to ignore her cry and do it ... took her temp after 10mins... it came down to 37.8degrees from 38.4degrees. i hugged her tight and brought her into the room to give her a change in environment to calm her down... poor little one continued to cry... i told her i won't do it anymore but i told her she needed to put the fever pad on her head... she allowed me to put it on... but she tried to take it away and i told her it has to be on your head of not your temp goes up, i need to sponge her again... her fingers left it alone... she was uncomfortable... but the fever did come down to almost normal temp at 37.2 degree.

I decided to still bring her to see doctor. i want to make sure using the thermometer from the doctor to check her temperture. her fever has subsided and i was pondering whether to see the doctor and i decided to go in. I was glad i went in as i got a list of questions ready and i was glad i had the answers. I dress baby r in a short sleeve romper to sleep as i was advice not to cover her too much as i need to keep her cool. if i needed to sponge her just use tap water will do... i was glad my questions were answered and it gave me a sense of confidence to know how to handle her.

she was much better as the fever was kept away until this morning... no fever but suddenly red patches, red ugly blotches appeared on her leg, neck, hand, elbow, knee!!! gosh she was very red and i freaked out! got ready to go to the doctors and realise it was too early... so i checked on the internet to find out what could it be and among the rashes symtoms, hives seems to be the culprit... we were the 1st to see the doc and it was suspected hives... doctor rule that it could be the viral infection that cause baby r's fever that caused the hives.... or it could be the fever med that baby r took for the 1st time that caused it... it couldnt be food as i didnt let her try any new food... hives can be caused by many reasons...

baby r was so active in the doctor's room. she even did her pacifier tricks jus using her mouth to bite on the pacifier amused the doctor! doc heng was amazed by baby r's tricks! she tried very hard to pay attention to me! i told dr that baby r will popped it back the right way later without using her hands and baby r did just that and dr was shocked. then we continued the q&a and dr was distracted by Baby r twisting the pacifier solely with her mouth and tongue... eating her pacifier sideways! dr couldnt helped it but laughed and apologised to me that she couldnt help looking at baby r... i was fine as i know how pipi my little one can be!

the hives went away as we walked home... it was just flat red patches on her legs.... then when she took the med... one of the med caused baby r to throw up on me... we cleaned up and got baby r to rest... the hives all went away but when she woke up... the fever was back... i closely monitored her as i can't give her the mild fever med as its suspected as a cause for her hives... used fever patches, gave her lots of water and kept her cool in the air-conditioned room... to keep awake... i typed this entry... feeling very tired and i stopped halfway when she woke up and i wa swith her till she slept at 9+pm... i am exhausted on the day she turned 8 months old...

the fever has now subsided reaching highest at 37.7degrees... i hope it remains normal and no hives on my baby... my poor little one... i am thankful to my inlaws who closed their stall early yesterday to come home with my dinner, wanting to help to relieve me... esp my mil who helped me out everyday... thanks to my mum who kept calling... my aunt o who check in with us and aunt k who heard and gave us a ring this morning. Thanks to my sil for today's help and for buying me dinner... i am really tired today... i was glad she helped me out... as for now but i can't z... i need to wait till theres someone else in room to be with her and me so that i can rest... daddy is still at work and i thank him for working so hard and it was hard on him to be worried at work and i am thankful that he told me that he is glad i am home to look after our girl as he knows that little one is good hands... i am trying my best and what he said to me gave me strength to pull thru today and kept me calm.

No comments: