*

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Show me Where the chefs work!

No cooking for my last class with these students! I took them out on a trip to Serangoon country club to have a tour in the kitchens. it was pretty cool to me as its an eye-opener how these kitchens look like in progress!we went into the grill resturant and the manager brief the students thru with the table setting and i asked the students if the cutlery starts from out to in or inwards to outwards, they looked at me blankly... when the manager explained, he mentioned something about how the bread should be eaten and i learnt a lesson too! bread are meant to be pinched and not cut into halves and buttered before putting the whole bun into the mouth to take a bite! its supposed to be pinched and then spread the butter on that bite-sized and pops into the mouth! the grill was serving Hungarian food for the month of March! sounds interesting to me!


we went into sports bar where the kids got excited to see the bar and the high stools and pool table... and they asked for beer... heinkein... little ones.... then we went into the music lounge and they continued to ask for beer, hard liquour.... told them theres more than just these and they told me red wine...

had a little chat with the students and they were amazed with what i had for a job in my past years.... inspired them to travel, told them theres a bigger world out there waiting for them... shared with them Ben & Jerry 's success story. everytime before i end a class, i would share a cookbook of mine and the story of the chef. for my last lesson, i did an internet search for Ben & Jerry's story as i tot this would be closer to their hearts as they would have at least heard of their ice-cream. i was amazed with the story myself when i briefly read thru. the most interesting part was Ben & Jerry's ice-cream was the 1st ever brand of ice-cream to make it into the space! How cool! with that, i ended my lesson with this group of kids.

I know i earned some respect from some of the kids (the noisy ones became the listener and would tell those who never admit mistakes to keep quiet = great feeling!), some never learnt anything about changing their attitude - nothing wrong about talking while i am talking and gets mad at me cos i stop to stare at them (but at least these kids did follow thru and did cook/bake the stuff right!) and of cos, the one that thinks he is mighty remains in his own shell! but kids are kids. i learn from them too. to be as patient as i can be. i myself renewed my passion and i got inspired with the stories i told them. theres a rush in me but it has to wait. i hope the fire in me keeps on burning!

No comments: