*

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Salute to all mothers!!!

This post has been far overdue, partly due to the fact that I am still trying to find a balance between work and helping out LC with the little one. It does seem that my life now only revolves around work and helping to take care of my little darling the moment I reach home from work. Nevertheless, my experience for the first week as a father is as follows:


In first, my salutation to all mothers, specially dedicated to my wife and mother; my wife for all she has gone through, is going through and about to go through in time to come with our little darling girl; for my mother to thank her for giving birth and bringing me up through these years.



Labour is no mean feat! And I say this with total conviction after my traumatic but rewarding experience in the operating theatre with my wife during her C-section operation to deliver our little darling girl.



Naively, I had thought that the C-section would not be too difficult, with the surgeon only needing to make the cut, and swiftly carry our little one out from my wife's womb. How far I was from reality!!!



There was violent but coordinated thugging, pulling and shoving throughout the short but shocking process by her gynae and anesthethist. Sitting next to my wife during the process, I was totally in shock from the drama of the procedure, from the seemingly hissing sound of blood spurting from her blood vessels and blood dripping into a pool on the floor, apart from the shaking operating table.



Meanwhile, to my surprise, my wife, who was adequately briefed by the anesthethist before the operation, was smiling back at me whenever I looked at her, trying to calm me down. I must have looked pretty pale at that point of time. I applaud her for her courage and positive attitude. I guess that is the power of maternal instincts. I am grateful and thankful that both mother and child are safe.


The first month was a total culture shock and surprise for us.... We had been warned by our dear friends about what to expect but nothing could prepare us for the sleepless nights, the unsatisfied and crying baby and the unrelentless attention that our little baby demanded. Life is literally never to be the same again...


The great sacrifice that LC has made to be a stay-home mum is something I appreciate deeply and encourage tremendously, for the sake of our darling girl. We were pushed constantly with our tolerance levels with the wailing baby and seemingly difficult to please baby... it is only our parental instincts and love for our child that has always pulled us through. It is unimaginable how some stranger, such as foreign help, can tolerate the unbearable nuisance of the newborn child. Everytime the baby was out of control, we felt anger, anguish and helplessness but we persevered and when all was calm, we were glad and contented with the bliss and miracle of our little one.


It has not been easy and realistically, it is just going to get tougher but I believe that we are going to enjoy this wonderful journey. As much of a contrast that all this sounds, LC and I are happy and thankful. My salute to all mothers and good luck to all fathers .... Lots of love for my wife and our lovely newborn daughter.


Cheers!

No comments: